Let’s admit it – the stethoscope has to be perhaps among the most important and most popular instruments for those in the medical profession. For ages, this instrument has helped doctors do a physical analysis of patients and gauge any health problems. So, it makes a lot of sense to buy this essential instrument with care and evaluate its performance before committing to it.
Further, a good stethoscope is not the one that just works, but it’s also one that makes auscultation a far better experience for doctors and patients alike. No matter which branch of medicine you are associated with, whether cardiology, pediatrics, or veterinary, there is a perfect stethoscope for one and all. There is one also for students!
Choosing the right stethoscope matters because –
- It can help health experts optimize patient care
- Can deliver the most accurate diagnosis
- You will get right auscultation for your patients
- Value can be added to patient care
Tips to choosing the perfect stethoscope
In many cases, health professionals make the mistake of focusing too much on the price, gossips and even brand names while choosing a stethoscope. Nothing is wrong in that but the device’s performance should not and never be, ignored at all.
Here are some of aspects you need to consider in choosing a stethoscope –
- Choose only a device that has high-density materials such as titanium in its chest-piece construction as only that can promise durability and performance
- Go for a chest-piece that has perforations, comes with the ability to absorb sounds and delivers a clearer and crisper sound due to smoothness and high polishing
- It’d great if you select a device whose headset has the same kind of material as the chest-piece for superior results
- Like the chest-piece, you will also trust a device whose headset ensures the amplifying acoustics and high sealing on the headset
- Never have any concern with littmann stethoscope price and select the right metals to transmit sounds to the headset
- Before selecting the device, make sure the materials used for both the headset and the chest-piece are virtually the same
- Doctors or health professionals should always go for a durable and high-quality diaphragm with their stethoscope and the focus should be getting extra to counter the risks of some mishaps
- Buy only a device that thick and with durable tubing as this helps a great deal in insulating the sound by isolating acoustic from external noise
- Loss of sound results in case where the tubing is thick as it can be at a risk to breakage thereby leading to inaccurate diagnosis of patients
- Make sure the device has ear-tips that can fit comfortably and security inside the ear and are available in various sizes to fit the needs of different patients
- Apart from providing comfort, the ear-tips should be able to create seal inside the ear so that external sound can be stopped from seeping through.
- And lastly, buy a stethoscope whose stem is not only constructed using the same material as the chest-piece but also helps reduce sound leakage